Are you just getting into vintage shopping and find it slightly overwhelming? If so, you’ve come to the right place! I’d say part of this confusion is down to the massive amount of vintage that’s on offer! Where do you even start? Well, I’ve put together some tips on introducing vintage to your wardrobe, without looking like you’ve raided a fancy dress shop! (Not that there’s anything wrong with looking like that, in fact, I’m quite partial to an entire, bold vintage look)
1. Wear vintage accessories – This is one of the best ways to implement vintage to your style in a really subtle way! Have a look at bags, scarves and jewellery. Pieces like this will add a unique twist and should fit in with your current wardrobe too!
Classic Tan Satchel – Shop here
2. Go for classic prints – Polka dots, stripes, floral prints have been around forever! (Or at least it feels like it!) You really can’t go wrong! These kind of prints are so versatile too, meaning they should work with what you already have! Team a polka dot blouse like this with a pair of jeans and leather jacket for a casual look.
Polka Dot Vest – Shop here
3. Keep an eye out for trends – Plenty of trends all over the catwalk and high street have been inspired by the past anyway, so why not go for an original? Vintage is generally lower priced than the high street and no one else will be wearing the same thing! It’s a no brainer really! The early 70s are everywhere at the moment and if that’s your thing, this lovely paisley dress is perfect for a festival!
Sequin Paisley Dress – Shop here
4. Choose those staple pieces – That top or skirt that will go with everything! Think of vintage as an extension of your style, does it work with what you already wear? This incredible leather skirt could be mistaken for a Topshop or Urban Outfitters skirt and it’s only £20! It’d probably be double that on the high street!
5. Wear timeless fabrics – There’s some fabrics and prints that have been around for decades! Lace has been really popular since the 1950s and hasn’t disappeared since. It’s such a beautiful fabric and the possibilities of lace garments are endless. This lovely 90s blouse is the perfect way of adding a touch of lace to an everyday outfit. It can be worn under a jumper for a casual look too!
Floral Lace Blouse – Shop here
So there you have it, ways to wear vintage that will fit in with your style!
One last tip, be sure to rummage. I understand that looking through tonnes of vintage can be overwhelming at first, but it’s completely worth it! Go shopping when you’ve got time to have a thorough look. Even if you find one or two incredible things amongst a load of rubbish, you can’t beat that feeling of finding a gem!
So have fun and here’s to finding some amazing vintage,