So this weekend, it’ll be the 4th Small Business Saturday! As someone with a small business and who also regularly shops with small businesses, here’s why you should shop with vintage independents this Christmas:
1. It’s fun – When shopping vintage, you never know what you’re going to find, which I think is really exciting! If you pop into a Topshop, it’s likely that you’ll have a good idea of what’s there! With vintage, whether online, or in a shop, there’s none of that! Even if you don’t always see anything, all the rummaging is worth it, when you find something amazing!
2. It’s different – You know that you’re not going to see anyone wearing the same thing! That’s what got me into vintage and what I still love about it! This aspect means that vintage also will make a lovely gift for those who like something different! If you’re buying a present but unsure about vintage clothes sizing, opt for accessories or a nice bag instead!
3. The possibilities are endless – You can wear pretty much anything from the 1920s-1990s, isn’t that incredible? Whether you’re wearing full vintage, or mixing it up with the high street, there’s so much vintage out there! The styling possibilities are truly endless and you can dress like a different person every day if you wanted to!
4. You’re supporting a local business – Let’s face it, high street clothing retailers are turning over millions of pounds profit every year. While Christmas temp staff work their socks off, the CEO’s are probably off skiing in France and drinking overpriced wine! It’s a thought that makes me feel uneasy. So why not shop with independents instead? Without you guys, we wouldn’t be able to do what we love, so we need your support!
5. Customer service – When I shop with small businesses, I find that the customer service can be much better than big stores! These businesses and The Vintage Wardrobe depend on customers, so every single one is valued! Since setting up the business, I’ve appreciated every one of you and every purchase, meaning I do what I can to provide great service!
6. It’s affordable – Vintage is usually very affordable! That £70 sequin dress from Next will have been based on an 80s £30 dress from a vintage shop. Why buy a vintage inspired piece, when you can get an original for a snip of the price?
Now, I really hope that this post doesn’t sound like an ‘anti-high’ street rant. It’s not at all! It wouldn’t be easy to cut out the conveniences that big businesses have to offer, particularly with food and home products. I just actively try to shop with small businesses when I can!
Sending lots of vintage love,